This article is for faculty, staff, and students on how to set password recovery options for their NetID password. This enables you to reset your password later if you forget it.
If you did not set up password recovery options and need to reset your password, contact the ITS Help Center.
Setting up NetID Password Recovery Options
- Navigate to netid.uconn.edu.
- Hover your cursor over NetID Tools at the top of the page, and then click the fourth option down, Set Password Recovery Options. The recommended approach is to set your secondary contact information using either a personal email or a mobile phone number.
ITS is phasing out Secret Questions & Answers. They are not the most secure method for password recovery because answers can be often searched and found on social media and other outlets.
- Enter a personal email address (not your @uconn.edu) in the “Secondary Email Address” field, and click Save Changes.
- Log in to the email account provided and open the email from email@example.com. The email will provide a verification code you will need to copy or write down.
- Enter the verification code into the field provided on the NetID website and click Submit. This will complete the process.
- You will be returned to the Password Recovery page if the process completes successfully. Here, you will see a new option to remove the current email address listed.
You must use a cell phone serviced by one of the listed carriers. If your carrier isn't listed, enter a different cell phone number if you have one, or select another password recovery option.
- Enter your mobile number in the corresponding field.
- Click on the white downwards arrow to open up the drop down menu and select your carrier.
- Click Save Changes.
- Open the text on your phone, and retrieve the verification code.
- Back in your browser, enter the verification code into the field provided and click Submit to complete the process.
- You will be returned to the Password Recovery page if the process completes successfully. Here, you will see a new option to remove the current phone number listed.