UConn students may grant permission to University staff to discuss certain types of information related to or contained in their student records with individuals designated by the student (FERPA designee). Students will use the FERPA Designee Pin Page to create a 4-digit pin code for each FERPA designee, which this person provides when contacting university staff.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the confidentiality of student records. Except in limited circumstances, the University may not disclose student records and information without consent. There are several tools that students can use to authorize University officials to share certain records and information:
- To give an individual access to view certain information in the Student Administration System, a student may set up Delegated Access.
- To permit certain University officials to discuss specific student information, the student needs to create a FERPA Pin Code via the FERPA Designee Pin Page.
- To authorize an individual to make payments on their behalf, students may set up an authorized user in the bill paying system.
Overview of the Pin Page
Students may log into the FERPA Designee Pin Page to designate anyone – a parent, a guardian, a significant other, employer – as a FERPA designee and grant permission for University staff to discuss the categories of information listed below. Students will enter the following information into the FERPA Designee Pin Page for each person they choose to designate:
- proper name (first and last name) of the designee
- assign each designee a 4-digit pin code
- select what categories of information they give permission for University staff to discuss.
After the FERPA Designee Pin Page is completed, students should make sure that each designee knows their 4-digit pin code and what categories of information they have granted permission for University staff to discuss. When a designee contacts an office they will be asked to provide their name and their 4-digit pin code. Names and pin codes must match what is listed on the FERPA Designee Pin Page in order for University staff to discuss information specific to a student’s educational record.
Questions regarding the FERPA Designee Pin Page may be directed to the: University Privacy Officer 860-486-4805 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How to login and create designees
Login to the FERPA Designee Pin Page with your NetID and password.
- Scroll down and click Add Designee.
- Enter designee information and assign pin.
- Select categories of information, and click Add.
- Once you have added all your designees, click Submit. You will receive a confirmation message in your UConn email.