This article is for faculty, staff, and students seeking information regarding setting password recovery options for their NetID password. Setting password recovery options enables you to reset your password later if you forget it.
If you did not set up password recovery options and need to reset your password, contact the ITS Technology Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up NetID Password Recovery Options
To set up NetID Password Recovery Options,
- Navigate to the NetID website.
- Hover your cursor over My NetID at the top of the page.
Click the fourth option, Set Password Recovery Options. The best approach is to set your secondary contact information using either a personal email or a mobile phone number.It is highly recommended that you do each password recovery option as a separate step, as both the email and text options contain verification codes.
ITS is phasing out Secret Questions & Answers. They are not the most secure method for password recovery because answers can be often searched and found on social media and other outlets.
To set up a secondary email,
- Enter a personal email address (not your @uconn.edu) in the Secondary Email Address field.
- Click Save Changes.
- Log in to the email account provided.
- From your inbox, open the email from email@example.com. This email message will provide a verification code you will need to copy or write down.
- Enter the verification code into the field provided on the NetID website.
- Click Submit. Doing so will complete the process. You will be returned to the Password Recovery page if the process was successfully completed. Here, you will see a new option to remove the current email address listed.
You must use a cell phone serviced by one of the listed carriers. If your carrier isn't listed, enter a different cell phone number if you have one, or select another password recovery option.
- Enter your mobile number in the corresponding field.
- Click on the white downward arrow to open up the drop down menu and select your carrier.
- Click Save Changes.
- Open the text on your phone.
- Retrieve the verification code.
- Back in your browser, enter the verification code into the field provided.
- Click Submit to complete the process. You will be returned to the Password Recovery page if the process completes successfully. A new option to remove the current phone number listed will be available on this page.