Anyone can join a Webex session that was created using a UConn Webex account.
If you are using a Chromebook or a computer running Linux, you need to use the Web App.
To join a Webex session on your computer using the:
- Click on the Join link. You may have received this link in an email, a calendar invite, a HuskyCT post, or found it on a website. You will be directed to the UConn Webex site as your browser checks whether you have Webex installed on your computer.
- If you have the Webex application installed, it will open (or ask for permission to open) and you will see the video preview screen. Continue to Step 2.
- If you do not have Webex installed, you will instead be prompted to download a temporary application to run the session. This temporary application file runs without installing or requiring Administrator privileges.
- Download this file.
Run the file.This file is not the full application, but rather a temporary executable.
You will now see the video preview screen.Certain features may be disabled by the Host.
- If necessary, click on the caret next to Mute/Unmute to change your microphone or speaker selection. You will likely want to use your built-in devices unless you have purchased external, USB devices. The internal devices will likely have a name similar to "built-in", "internal", or "microphone array".
- Press the green Join Meeting button.
- Once in the Meeting, find your name in the Participant Panel.
- Hover your cursor over your name to see the hand icon appear.
Click on the hand icon to raise and lower your hand.
- Click on Chat in the bottom-right corner to open the Chat panel.
- Click on Everyone to edit your message recipients.
- If you are Muted, you may press and hold the spacebar to temporarily Unmute yourself.
If you are using a mobile device, you may press and hold the spacebar on a connected Bluetooth keyboard.
Please use Chrome if possible. While most browsers will work, ITS has found Chrome to be the most reliable when using Webex.
To join your Webex session,
- Click on the Join link. You may have received this link in an email, a calendar invite, a HuskyCT post, or found it on a website.
- You will be prompted to download a temporary application file. To run the session entirely through your browser, cancel the download. If a window appears asking you where to save the download, close that window as well.
- Click on the Join from your Browser link.
- Enter your name and email address.
- The Next button will turn blue. Click on the Next button to proceed to your session.
Allowing the Webex Web App to Access Your Microphone and Camera
For security reasons, Webex, like all websites, cannot access your microphone or webcam without your permission. If it is your first time using Webex in the browser or on this computer, you will receive a pop-up notification asking for these permissions. You will see the spinning circle in the middle of the screen until you allow access.
- Click on the Allow button in the pop-up notification to allow access. You should then be able to proceed with the session.
If you do not see this pop-up, click on the padlock icon sitting in front of the website URL.
Use the Use computer for audio option to use your computer's microphone unless you would like to use your phone/landline for audio transmission.
- For more information about managing your choice of speaker, microphone, and camera, review the article, Changing Speaker, Microphone, and Camera Options in Webex.
While ITS asks that Hosts initiate sessions using the Webex desktop app if possible, students, candidates and other participants may join using the options below without sacrificing features.
- Joining a Webex Session Using the Smartphone App (available for Android and iOS)
- Joining a Webex Session Using a Phone/Landline (smartphone not required)