UConn AnyWare is an application virtualization service that gives faculty, staff, and students remote access to university-licensed software. With UConn AnyWare, you connect to a virtual desktop that includes all the available software.
ITS is updating UConn AnyWare to improve security, increase scalability, and introduce new features to our community.
We will only be offering the virtual desktop service through Citrix; AnyWare Apps (excluding a small subset of applications) and Anyware Desktop (VMWare) are being discontinued.
Below are the key changes:
- New feature: This version will have user persistence, which means your settings and configurations will not change, even after you log out.
- Security: You will not be able to install applications. This will better protect the University from criminals who may exploit the security vulnerability.
- OS Update: The base operating system (OS) will be Windows Server and no longer Windows Desktop.
See Installing Citrix Workspace for instructions on accessing AnyWare through the Citrix Workspace desktop application.
Launching UConn AnyWare Through Your Browser
- Go to anyware.uconn.edu.
- Choose Launch AnyWare.
- Log in using your NetID and NetID password.
After signing in, you will be prompted to detect Citrix Receiver. Click Detect Receiver if you have Citrix installed. If you do not have it installed and wish to use AnyWare without installing it, you can select Use Light Version. Installing the Citrix Receiver will allow access to local computer storage and peripherals during your session.
Users without administrative rights on their computers will not be able to install Citrix Receiver. Instead, choose Use Light Version.
Select AnyWare Desktop to load your desktop session. If you have access to school-specific virtual desktops (i.e., Business or Engineering), those desktops will also be displayed.
6. When you are ready to leave your session, choose Log Off from the menu drop-down.