Students, faculty, and staff can back up their G-Suite data to Google Takeout, the backup service provided to you through your G-Suite Account.
To use Google Takeout you must opt-in to public services. See "How do I opt-in to Public Services for G-Suite?"
What Can I Back up with Google Takeout?
Home & Office
Using Google Takeout to Back Up G-Suite Apps Data
- Navigate to: www.google.com/takeout/
- Check what you would like to backup and then click Next.
- Choose the file format for the downloaded data. The default type is a zip file.
- Choose a Max Archive size. If your data exceeds this size, it will be split into multiple files.
- Choose a delivery method, and Create Archive.
- You do not have to stay on this page. An email will notify you when the zip file is available. This may take a while depending on the amount of data you have stored.
Accessing Files from the Backup
- Open the zip file you downloaded. Windows and OSX have the ability to open zip files without 3rd-party programs.
- You can view the folders inside the zip file and move them anywhere.
It is best to drag the main zipped “Takeout” folder to somewhere on your PC instead of keeping it in the "Downloads" folder.