Faculty and staff can set up their Outlook client using IMAP for their Office 365 account.
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an email protocol used for retrieving and storing incoming mail sent over SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol).
Configure Mail Client Using IMAP in Outlook 2016
- Open the Outlook desktop client.
- Click File. Then Account Settings and Account Settings in the drop down menu.
- Click New to create a new profile.
- Select "Manual setup or additional server types" as shown below. Once finished, click on Next.
- Select “POP or IMAP”. Click on Next.
- In the "POP and IMAP" account settings page, fill in the information below:
- Your name: This will be your display name.
- Email address: This will be your primary UConn email address in the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Account type: IMAP.
- Incoming mail server: outlook.office365.com
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.office365.com
- User Name: This will be your primary UConn email address in the format email@example.com.
- Password: Your NetID password
Click More Settings in the bottom right corner.
Your email address should auto-populate in the "General" tab.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab and check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"
- Ensure that "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected.
- Click on the Advanced tab. Update the following:
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
- Click OK and then Next. Ensure the "Test Account Settings" complete successfully. Click Finish.