This article is for Faculty and Staff at all campuses who want to request a Mass Mail Account. When sending out a large mailing, use a mass mail account in place of your own personal email account to prevent your account from being locked for spamming.
Requesting a Mass Mail Account
Before configuring the mass mail account, you must request an account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To send emails on behalf of a group, such as a department (shared mailbox), club, or third-party vendor, you should request a dedicated “service account.” You would then create a new account using the credentials of the service group account. To request a service account (such as for a shared mailbox) please email email@example.com. For assistance with set-up, contact the ITS Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-486-4357.
Adding a Mass Mail Account
- Open Microsoft Outlook (2016). Click File > Add Account.
- In the "Add Account" window choose Manual setup or additional server types and click Next to create a new email account.
Select Pop or IMAP. Click Next.
Enter the following information into the "Add Account" window shown below. Click the More Settings button in the lower-right when done.
The username and password here refers to the “Incoming mail server”
- From the "More Settings" dialogue box, select the General tab. Type a name to help you identify this account.
- From the "More Settings" dialogue box, select the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Choose the "Log on using" radio button. Enter your service / mass mail account username and password. Click OK.
- Select the Advanced Tab.
- Under "Server Port Numbers," ensure that the incoming server (IMAP) is set to 993 and uses SSL as the type of encrypted connection.
- Set the "Outgoing server (SMTP)" port number to 587 with TLS as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted after sending) or port number 465 with SSL as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted before sending).
- Uncheck "Do not save copies of sent items." Click OK
- You are now back to the Add Account window. Click Next to test your settings. If the test is successful, click Close. If the test failed, review the information entered, and if you continue to experience problems, contact the ITS Help Center for assistance.
- You are now back to the Add Account window. Click Finish.
- Open Microsoft Outlook (2016) and look for the new account to appear in the list to the left.
If you add the service / mass mail account to your current client email profile, it will come up as one of the accounts in that profile. If you wish the service / mass mail account to be set up in its own separate profile, go to Control Panel > Mail > Profiles / Show Profiles, then select the radio button for Prompt for a profile to be used.