This article shows how a mass mail account can be configured as a separate profile.
Requesting a Mass Mail Account
Before configuring the mass mail account, you must request a mass mail account by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you receive credentials for mass mailing from the e-mail team, you can use them to configure a new profile in Outlook and have it prompt you to select which profile to access: mass mail profile or your normal outlook profile.
Setting Up the Mass Mail Account in a New Email Profile
- To set it up as a separate Profile open Control Panel and click on Mail (32 bit).
- Click on Show Profiles.
- Check the box “Prompt for a profile to be used” and click add.
- Name the profile then click OK.
- Select the Manual setup or additional server types check box and then click next.
- Check the “POP or IMAP” box and click Next >.
- Complete with the following information:
- User Information: Your name is the mass mail account name from the Global Address List of the mailbox you are accessing and the mass mail email address.
- Server Information: Account type IMAP, incoming server outlook.office365.com and outgoing server massmail.uconn.edu
- Logon Information: User name and password here refers to the incoming mail server (your UConn email). "Remember Password" should be checked.
- Click the More Settings dialogue box and select the General tab.
- Type in a profile name to help you identify this account.
- Select the Outgoing Server tab and check the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”.
- Enter your service account / mass mail account username and password.
- Select the Advanced tab
- Under Server Port Numbers, ensure that the incoming server (IMAP) is set to 993 and uses SSL as the type of encrypted connection.
- Set the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number to 587 with TLS as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted after sending) or port number 465 with SSL as the type of encrypted connection (data encrypted before sending)
- Uncheck “Do not save copies of sent items”.
- Click OK.
- You should now be back to the Add Account window. Click Next to test your settings. If the test is successful you will see the below window and a Test e-mail should be received, click Close. If the test failed, review the information entered, and if you continue to experience problems, contact the ITS Help Center for assistance.
- If everything is successful click close and finish. You should see an additional profile now in mail.
- Click Apply and OK, then exit outlook if it is open.
- When opening Outlook you will be prompted to choose which profile to use. You will see both personal and shared emails if it is a shared mailbox.