This article is for faculty, students and staff seeking information regarding how to use the encryption tool provided by ITS through Office 365. Encryption is a useful feature for sending and receiving private and confidential information. The encrypt message permission will convert the content and any attachments sent with the email into code, thereby preventing unauthorized users from viewing the content or making changes to it. This encryption capability is often used in cases where messages containing confidential information are sent to external email systems, which includes Google Apps for students.
To encrypt an email, type any of the below text options into the subject of the email message.
A space must follow the closing punctuation to encrypt the message.
Example: [encrypt] Subject of Message
Opening Encrypted Emails
Recipients of encrypted emails will receive the message with a .html attachment. To open the email,
- Open the encrypted message received.
- Click on the drop down next to the message.html attachment.
- Click Download to open the file.
- In Outlook Mail, click Open.
- On the Opening Mail Attachment window, click Open again. A webpage will open displaying two options for opening the content of the encrypted message.
To open the email using the Sign In option,
- Click Sign in.
- Click Work or School Account.
- Sign into Office365 using your UConn email address and password. Once you do so, the encrypted message should be displayed. From here, you can reply to or forward the message. Reply messages and forwards will be automatically encrypted.
To open the email using the one-time passcode option,
- Click on Use a One-Time Passcode.
- You will then receive an email in your recipient mailbox containing a Passcode.
- Enter the passcode provided in the email into the webpage. Once you do so, the encrypted message should be displayed. From here, you can reply to or forward the message. Reply messages and forwards will be automatically encrypted.
If the encrypted email has been sent to an alias email account, the passcode method will need to be used.
Emails with the Do Not Forward, University of Connecticut – Confidential and University of Connecticut – Confidential View Only appears with a restricted red icon as shown below.
Click on image to view at full size.
There is no content with the specified labels