This article is for students, student workers, faculty, and staff at all UConn campuses who want to access a shared mailbox in Microsoft Outlook on Mac. This information is for Outlook in Microsoft Office 2011, 2016, and 2019. These instructions are not meant for Office 365 Web Access. This article applies to existing shared mailboxes. To create a new shared mailbox, see Creating a Shared Mailbox.
Students who are given access to a shared mailbox should log in using their work accounts, rather than their email@example.com accounts. Work accounts will either be in the form of NetIDwork (firstname.lastname@example.org) or student#### (email@example.com).
Accessing a Shared Mailbox in Outlook for Mac
- In Outlook for Mac, select Tools tab in the ribbon.
- Select Accounts.
- In the window that appears, select your Exchange account and click Advanced…
- In the Server tab that the window opens in, check the box that says "Sync shared mailbox".
- Click the Delegate tab. In the section named “Open these additional mailboxes:“, click the "+" button.
- The "Select User" window will appear. Type the name of the shared mailbox in the text box.
- For Outlook 2011, click Find. Select the desired user from the search result list that appears and click OK.
- For Outlook 2016, press Enter. Select the desired user from the search result list that appears and click Add.
- Click OK to close the accounts window. After a brief period, the shared mailbox will appear as a folder in the View list on the left side.
To send email from the shared mailbox, click the drop down arrow next to the "From:" field when composing a new message.