This article is for students, student workers, faculty, and staff at all UConn campuses who want to access a shared mailbox in Microsoft Outlook on Windows. This article applies to existing shared mailboxes. To create a new shared mailbox, review the article, Creating a Shared Mailbox.
Students who are given access to a shared mailbox should log in using their student work accounts, rather than their email@example.com accounts. Work accounts will either be in the form of NetIDwork (firstname.lastname@example.org) or student#### (email@example.com).
Accessing a Shared Mailbox in Outlook for Windows
To access a shared mailbox,
- Open Outlook.
- Click on File.
- Click on Account Settings.
- Click on Account Settings... in the drop-down bar.
- Click on New to add a new account.
- Type a name for the account in the name field (instead of your name).
- Type the email address of the shared mailbox in the E-mail Address field.
- Type your own NetID password in both password fields.
- Select Next.
- The Windows Security window may take a minute or more to appear. Once it does,
- Delete any text that appears in the name field.
- Enter your own email address.
- Enter your NetID password again.
- Select Remember my credentials.
- Click OK.
- Click Finish.
- Select OK when the popup displays the You must restart Outlook for these changes to take effect message.
- Close Outlook.
- Restart Outlook. The newly-added account will begin syncing with the server once Outlook opens.
Accessing a Shared Mailbox in Office365 New Look
- Click on File.
- Click on Add account.
- Enter the Shared Mailbox account name.
- Click on Connect.
- When the Windows Security box appears, change the Shared Email to your personal email.
- Enter your NetID password.
- Check off the Remember my credentials checkbox. A box will appear, indicating that the account was successfully added.
- Click Done. If you do not have multiple accounts (i.e., Shared Mailboxes) to set up, the Mailbox will then be downloaded to Outlook