Faculty and staff may request a hotspot if they need to work in areas with no or limited internet access. Requests are subject to departmental approval.
A hotspot lets you share your wireless network connection with other devices so they can access the internet. Devices, like laptops, can connect to your hotspot using Wi-Fi.
Who Can Request a Hotspot?
- Anyone can request a hotspot as long as the department approves prior to submitting the request.
- The department will pay a $39.99 monthly unlimited data fee per hotspot.
- A $2 cell phone fee will be charged monthly.
- Under our contract, a vendor may offer a particular hotspot for free; however, prices vary up to $150.
Requesting a Hotspot
- Go to cellular.uconn.edu.
- Fill out and submit the Mobile Broadband Form.
- Users must specify if they need a global hotspot for international travel.
- The Department head needs to approve before filling out the form.
- Once requested, the hotspot will be received within 1 week to 10 days depending on the carrier (Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint).
- Most hotspots are either Verizon or AT&T.
- Users can request which carrier they would prefer.
- If a hotspot is no longer needed, the department will hold on to the device and submit a disconnect service on cellular.uconn.edu. There are no contract end dates so service can be disconnected at any time.
Reactivating an Existing Mobile Hotspot
- Hotspot can be used at a later time. The department can request a new service by submitting the Mobile Broadband Form.
- The IMEI and SIM card information is needed when requesting service on an existing hotspot.
- The turn-around time to obtain service on an existing mobile hotspot is a couple of days unless a new SIM card has to be ordered.
- The hotspot is transferrable between employees in the same department.
- Turn the device on / off.
- Take the backing off, pull out the battery and SIM card, and put it back together again
- If it still does not work, submit a support request to the Technology Support Center at techsupport.uconn.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org.