Faculty and staff who have lost or misplaced their university-issued cellular devices should take specific actions.


ITS Cellular Services must be contacted in the event you lose your university-issued cellular device.

What to do if Your University-Issued Device is Lost or Stolen

  1. Call the cellular carrier to report the device as lost or stolen. They will suspend the service.
  2. Report this loss to ITS Cellular Services at (860) 486-4357 as soon as possible. ITS Cellular Services will work with you regarding a replacement device being ordered. You cannot order a device directly from the carrier.