The Domain Name System (DNS) is an Internet-wide distributed database of names translating Internet Protocol (IP) addresses into easily memorable names. Domain names are part of the identity of the university and communicate the university’s image and reputation to the public. Consistent domain usage may also be a tool for users to better locate services, so domains should be assigned in an easily recognizable and predictable structure.
To ensure that domain names are assigned and used appropriately and in alignment with institutional goals, the university has established some guidelines for governing third level domain name registrations. Examples of third-level domains names would be in the form of unitname.uconn.edu.
This policy covers all academic and administrative units, university affiliates, and academic and administrative staff seeking to register a domain name.
- Requests for all third-level domain names must be made by a college or administrative division that serves the entire university community and the requested third-level domain name must be approved before use.
- All official university web sites shall use domain names within the uconn.edu namespace.
- Requested third-level domain names must meet the following requirements in order to be approved:
- The requested name should accurately describe the activity or program to which it refers and be easily recognized as word(s) or abbreviation(s).
- The requested name represents the unit or service used by the entire university community.
- The unit must expect to provide these services on an ongoing basis.
- Third-level domain names may be revoked if the name is needed by the university.
- Officially recognized centers and institutes may request a fourth-level domain under one of the following third-level domains: center.uconn.edu or institute.uconn.edu.
- Officially recognized academic programs involving more than one college may request a fourth-level domain under: program.uconn.edu
The address for Graduate Students will be firstname-lastname.grad.uconn.edu
The address for Faculty will use the official UConn email address as a reference.
For instance, if your email is email@example.com the website address will be firstname-lastname.uconn.edu or name.dept.uconn.edu.
All Registered Student Organizations and Student Activities will have organizationname.rso.uconn.edu
Third-level Domain Name
These names consist of a single word placed before the uconn.edu part of the domain name.
Fourth-level Domain Name